Monday, March 15, 2010

The Sweetest Little Girl



I don't think I've done a post on my sweet niece Mia.

She is so cute and I love her very very much. I got to see her last week and it was good for the soul! She has opened up my eyes to a whole new world and I am so grateful and thankful for her. She has made such great strides in the 3 years she has been alive which makes me proud and honored that she is in my family.

Mia is special needs and has been to SO many doctors her whole life. From what I have learned about special needs children is that at first, everyone wants to figure out what is going on and what needs to be done to make them more "typical" or to help them excel to their fullest potential. I have learned, that not knowing, is just as okay.

I am not going to lie, for the first few years of her life I wasn't quite sure what my role as an aunt was going to be. I knew that I wanted to be the best aunt because I had such crappy ones. My aunts growing up never kept in touch, they never sent cards or even cared to call me (or Kate). They didn't come to graduations or weddings and so when Mia was born I knew I wanted to offer her the best I had. However, with her being special needs, I wasn't too sure what to do or how to do it. Within the last year, I learned that there isn't anything I need to do but to love her. And that I do.

Mia goes to the Rise School of Houston. It is a school for all kinds of kids and it has been a blessing for my sister and her family. Mia goes to school in the morning and is there all day doing crafts and physical therapy. I got to go with Kate last Friday to take Mia to school and it was so cute! I could have stayed there all day watching everything that was going on. The school is so warm and welcoming and God sent to the families that go there.

Special needs children are so special in a completely different way that what society has labeled them as. They are compassionate and kind, adorable and really do open your eyes to things you would never see or know. It is a blessing a true blessing.

Little Mia (and she is little!!!!) has started walking!! She walks all around and it is so funny to watch! I love seeing her get her balance and catch herself when she is getting wobbly. She LOVES opening and closing doors and swinging!!!

Mia, I love you sooooooooooooooooooooooooo much!

And now, without further ado:























4 comments:

Kate said...

Oh my sweet girl. I cant believe I had a part in making such an awesome beautiful girl. Lolly, you are the BEST aunt ever!! And Mia loves you too. :-) Im so glad for both of you... and glad you want to be a part of her life. We are blessed aren't we?

A few Hicks said...

I have had some really great aunts, so I know how that role can impact a life. I didn't realize until I was much older exactly how blessed I was to have such wonderful aunts (and uncles)!

One of my aunts was mentally retarded and (after a broken leg that she never fully recovered from) handicapped. She was the best aunt you could ever have, and I'm sure your niece will prove to be much the same. She had several idiosyncracies (her love of the Beatles, Mr. Rogers, Wizard of Oz, Curious George & a full moon; laughing hysterically at crying babies; and yelling "God bless you Sarah" if you sneezed in the other room... over and over until you said "Thank you, Wanda") that the whole family bonded over. She died 10 years ago (she was in her 40s), but I know it's because of her that this huge family was, and still is, so close. You're so lucky to have someone in your life that will always make you focus on the important stuff when life is trying to distract you with trivial things.

~Sarah

Laura and Lane said...

sarah - that made me tear up. i am so thankful that God brought your friendship to my life.

JT and Katie said...

What a little sweetie! She has gotten so big since the last pictures I saw of her (which has been awhile). I love her glasses!!! I had some just like those when I was little. You are definitely going to be the cool, fun Aunt!