Thursday, February 4, 2010

I Can Tell...

That Lane and I are desperately needing to go to church.

We have found a wonderfully amazing church (thanks Jesse and Rachel!) that we LOVE! It is such a blessing. However, we haven't been to church since before the holidays and I can really tell its effect on our realtionship. It isn't that we are avoiding going to church or choosing NOT to go but the God's (no pun intended) honest truth is that we either have been out of town (and we have been out of town A LOT since the holidays) or sick (this last weekend I had a very violent stomach bug that really put me out).

Nothing is horrible or bad with us but when we have the Lord's word in our minds and hearts we treat each other so much different (better). We are more kind, put each other first and are just geniunely happier. I feel like when we are far from the Lord our marriage doesn't have a good solid foundation and that we are rocky. Lately, I have been taking things personally (maybe it's because I've been hormonal) but I get sensitive and feel like things are crumbling (they aren't). I feel distance from Lane and I know it's because we really need to hear The Word.

The last few days I have been listening to a Christian radio station and they have had some really good sermons (they always do). It is amazing how just a few moments of the Lord's word can really change things. My absolute FAVORITE preacher is Dr. Ed Young. My biggest pet peeve is corny preachers. There are a lot of them out there but one of the greatest things, as a Christian, is to find a preacher who tells it like it is and who isn't corny. Dr. Ed Young is one of them and every sermon leaves you going, Wow.

Lane and I listened to his series "How to be a Super Husband and How to be a Super Wife" before we got married and it was incredible. I still have the cd's if anyone wants to listen to them for a refresher.

I am not one of those people who is up on the front row at church, or who feels comfortable being very public about my spiritulaity or relationship with God. I won't feel comfortable going door to door trying to get people to become Christians and you won't see me praying at a restaurant (unless I'm with people who do). However, I will talk about Jesus when I am feeling especially praiseful or if there is something that I have learned from an experience that can only be explained because God has gotten me through it or because I had to lean on him the hardest. I am not trying to hide that I am a Christian. Every single decision I make is because of God and because of what He wants for me. He has been so great to me and I will always give him the Glory and the Praise for everything no matter what. I think there are 2 kinds of Christians - those who are fabulous at public display and those that aren't. I'm in the second category and that is ok - I love both kinds!

Anyway, this weekend we are going to church because we aren't sick and we are in town! I am really looking forward to it and really love learning how to be a better person and wife. I do not know how people and marriages who aren't based in God make it work because there are so many lessons to learn from the Bible on how to be a husband and a wife. I know there are so many out there that do make it but with all the trials and tribulations marriage has I just don't see how it could if you miss out on the critical lessons and important teachings from the Bible .

1 comment:

Kate said...

Great post Lols! I know what you mean... B and I have been wanting to find a church basically since we have been married. I think Second Baptist just started a satellite church here in Pearland a few weeks ago and we are going to try and start going!
I wanna go to yalls church next time Im in town!