Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Lane's First Day!

Yesterday was a bittersweet day.

For about 4 years all I have heard is, "Oh just wait until Lane starts working for the man, you'll never see him." Or, "My husband works so much I never see him." Or, "Good Luck, once he starts work you may see him on the weekends." Lawyers get a wrap that they are all workaholics and put work before their families and lives. In some cases, I'll even give you most, this can be true. They go to school for 3 years for this special degree and before you know it they are busting it to get in to work by 7am only to leave 14 hours later day in and day out.

However, before we got married we discussed this topic together and with good ole' Dr. Gifford. Our lovely couples counselor who saved us. I am not wired to be able to handle such a life and it is not because I am needy. In fact, I am a very independent person but I would start to feel lonely, then resent Lane for working so much, then be miserable, then who knows what. Good thing we both agree that each other comes first before work. If you want to get technical its God, each other, family, work, diamonds, a BMW X5 and so on. Oh, did I say that? I actually would put work at the end of my list but that is because I hate my job.

So. To keep this short, as you know I do hate long posts, Lane chose a law firm that was more on the, "I love my wife and familiy so I'd like to spend time with them", side. Which I am happy about. Sure, he will have to work late some nights and some weeks will be longer than others but he has been home by 6:30 pm both nights this week and that makes me happy. The bittersweet part is he was off for 4 weeks and I got to talk to him a whole lot, have lunch with him and he would be home when I got home. I'll miss that but this is life and I'll still get to eat lunch with him on Thursdays when I'm in the Dallas office. Yay!

Here are a few pictures of Lane on his first day and just a second ago as I took a picture of him going through his wallet. I literally said, "You're a ball'a'." Yeah I said it. Notice his suit and tie. He got made fun of because he was "too dressed up". He can actually wear jeans and a polo and I will say, I am a bit jealous that he gets to wear such casual attire to a law firm when my idiot boss wont let us wear jeans even on Friday's - and we work for a baseball team. What the heck!?!

Now introducing Counselor Lane Arnold:




3 comments:

Kate said...

YEA LANE!!! Gimmie somma that money!!!!

Christa Greene said...

We're proud of you Lane, but Ben's making fun of your pictures! :) I, on the other hand, think you look very professional for your first day! And..Ben can't laugh too hard...b/c he totally dressed up for his first month at Walters! Now it's just golf (Summer of 2007-2008) shorts, golf shirt, and black vest for the winter!

JT and Katie said...

Yay for Lane and his "big boy" job. :)